Long War 2 is a mod for XCOM 2. Players can download the mod by visiting the Steam Workshop page.
Long War 2
Long War Studios, the development outfit responsible for great XCOM 2 PC content such as the “Alien Pack” and the “Perk” and “Laser Pack” mods, has a new name: Pavonis Interactive, and a new web site. And the team has been working on something ambitious. We’ll be sharing more in the coming weeks so stay tuned.
For those unfamiliar with the Long War, it was a very popular mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown that lengthened the game's experience and dramatically altered how you handled your Soldier Classes. The overhaul was so extensive that developer Firaxis has created a close development relationship with the newly named Pavonis Interactive, something not commonly found in gaming. We tend to see supportive relationships such as those with Bethesda and their modding community, but working side by side is a very unique situation and elevates this mod almost to the level of a DLC.
Long War adds the following elements:
- A much longer campaign, running for 100 to 120 missions on average
- Infiltration mechanics that require you to send out multiple squads at once
- Manage resistance Havens and have resistance members scrounge for supplies, gather intelligence or recruit more people to your cause
- Nine soldier classes: Sharpshooter, Shinobi, Ranger, Assault, Gunner, Grenadier, Specialist, Technical and Psionic (plus Sparks for DLC owners), each with unique secondary weapons
- Two new weapon tiers, lasers and coilguns
- Dozens of new enemies and smarter battlefield AI
- ADVENT strategic AI that tries to counter your moves