Sharpshooter is a Class or Specialization in XCOM 2. You can train a Soldier to be a Sharpshooter in the Guerrilla Tactics School in 10 Days. Sharpshooters excel at eliminating targets at long range. For all intents and purposes, this is your sniper Class.
"Just like it sounds. our sharpshooters engage enemy targets with pinpoint accuracy from extreme range. They're also trained in pistol marksmanship for the occasional close encounter."
Sharpshooters are your long range experts. They specialize in providing cover fire for advancing troops and protecting positions that you are trying to defend. No other Class has the Aim that they do over extreme range.
- Try to keep your Sniper elevated on the battlefield whenever possible. Not only will they have better Aim, but they can make use of Squadsight more effectively and also can gain another attack if they kill an enemy (once they have Death From Above). The Spider Suit or Wraith Suit gives them the Grapple ability, allowing them to scale nearby cliffs and buildings at zero cost. Make sure they are wearing it!
- Try to make sure they are positioned off to the sides or near the rear of your group. You want them out of harm's way, but not so far away that a random patrol could stumble upon them and kill them before you could bail them out.
- Gunslingers are a great way to hit many targets with a little damage but lack the heavy hitting power of the Sniper. Consider positioning them closer to the action to take advantage of this and improve their Aim with the Pistol, which has drastically shorter range. You can wipe out a whole patrol that has been weakended by a Grenadier with a Gunslinger.
- When it comes to ability selection, this is one of the Classes that I recommend you hybridize somewhat between the 2 ability columns. There really is no wrong build for this Class, and I recommend you don't, generally, take more than one Sharpshooter on any given Mission. So build your Sharpshooter/s however you want, in order to fit YOUR playstyle.
- A possible tactic is to use Overwatch with this Class before you advance your on a given turn. It will provide your other troops with some protection should they discover enemies while advancing and can often save their lives.
- Research A.P. Rounds (Experimental ammo) and give them to your Snipers over grenades. Why is it worth the trade off? Because it will allow them to bypass up to 5 points of Armor EVERY time they fire and they are unlikely to ever be close enough to throw a grenade anyways.
- For Personal Combat Sims, no other Class benefits more from Perception, so make sure to give this Class these PCSs before you give them to other Classes.
- For Upgrades, no other Class benefits more from a Scope, so always prioritize Sharpshooters with them. Also I recommend you give them Expanded Magazine or Automatic Reloader.
You can target enemies within squadmates' sight, provided there is line of sight to the target.
Allow Overwatch to trigger with Squadsight.
Take a shot with a small aim penalty for a significant damage boost.
Death From Above
Killing an enemy at a lower elevation with your sniper rifle costs only a single action, and does not end your turn.
Take a reaction shot against any enemy that moves or attacks within a cone of fire.
If you didn't move last turn, gain +10 aim and +10 critical chance.
Each kill made with your sniper rifle completely restores your actions. With each consecutive kill you get a critical chance penalty.
When targeted by enemy fire, automatically fire back with your pistol once per turn. Does not require a pistol to be equipped.
Fire your pistol at a target. This attack does not cost an action.
Firing your pistol with your first action no longer ends your turn.
Fire once at every visible enemy with your pistol.
Hunker Down now confers +20 aim to the first shot on the following turn.
Fire the pistol 3 consecutive times at a single target.