Ranger is a Class or Specialization in XCOM 2. You can train a Soldier to be a Ranger in the Guerrilla Tactics School in 10 Days. Rangers focus primarily on stealth and close range combat. They are good at finding and locating enemies without being seen.
"The Ranger serves as our primary reconnaissance unit, capable of moving independently in concealment while engaging enemies at close range using extensive training in swordsmanship."
Rangers are one of the most complex Soldier Classes in XCOM 2. It can take awhile to learn how to use them effectively, and even when you know how to use them, you'll find there are many ways you didn't know you could. You'll always want to make sure you have at least one Ranger on your squad, if not two.
- Early on in the game the Phantom ability may seem less useful to you than Blademaster, however, once you start to get the hang of the Class you will realize it has more advantages than you first realized. If you plan on your Ranger being stealthy, take this ability even if you don't know how to use it yet. You will wish you had later if you don't.
- Scouting ahead while Concealed can help you locate enemy patrols without getting their attention. This makes Scouts the ideal Class for your front-lines, allowing you to get positioned before you engage the enemy. Being properly positioned when pulling groups is more often than not the difference between succeeding and failing a Mission.
- If you plan on going Assault make sure to Research better Swords as often as you can. It will help you tremendously and you will need it to deal max damage.
- The Untouchable ability might be the best ability of the entire Class. There is nothing better than charging ahead to kill an enemy and then taking no damage from the next enemy attack. Once you have this skill, keep this in mind when attacking and lure your enemy into wasting an attack on this Soldier.
- It is tempting to take abilities from both Ability Lines (especially if you are new and unfamiliar with the Class), but it is recommended that you follow one side or the other and play as a Scout Ranger or an Assault one. The two lines allow for flexibility, but ultimately harm the strength of your character later in the game. You can bring both types on later Missions and have the best of both worlds then.
- Learn how to use your Sword. You can move once and then run up and hit an enemy with your Sword anywhere you could make your second move to. No other Class can do that, and it gives you an almost guaranteed hit on enemies that aren't necessarily close.
- This Class is the best at Flanking in the game. Learn how and when to Flank so you deal the most damage you can.
- It is recommended that you give this Class Speed Personal Combat Sims because of the fact this Class will generally move the most on any given Mission.
- For Upgrades you'll want Hair Trigger and Laser Sight for your gun. This will take advantage of the Shotgun's already high Crit Chance almost guaranteeing a Critical Hit when you flank, but also, give you a chance for a free turn to futher wreak havoc (or allow you to get out of harms way if needed).
Attack any enemy within movement range with your sword.
When the squad is revealed, this soldier remains concealed.
When concealed, gain +25 bonus Aim and +25 bonus critical hit chance when attacking enemies.
Immediately enter concealment once per misson.
If you score one or more kills on your turn, you are granted a single bonus move.
If you did not attack this turn, hunker down automatically.
Fire twice in a row at an enemy. Each shot suffers an Aim penalty of -15.
Deal +2 extra damage on all sword attacks.
This soldier does not trigger overwatch or reaction fire.
Run and Gun
Take an action after dashing.
Free sword attacks on enemies that enter or attack from melee range.
If you score a kill during your turn, the next attack against you during the enemy turn will miss.
A devastating chain melee attack where the first melee attack cannot miss. Each melee kill in Reaper mode grants an extra action, but further melee attacks deal reduced damage.